|FISH TAILS — HDS
- And another thing — Why is the opening of the commercial Dungeness Crab season delayed until December, but the sportsmen fishery (charter boats/recreational) is allowed to fish?? They use the same gear, and as intelligent as whales are, I’m pretty sure that they wouldn’t know the difference whether they got tangled up in recreational lines or in the commercial fleet’s lines. (more below…)
- Gettin’ real close to the end of ALASKAN HALIBUT season — we hopefully have a shipment arriving on Friday, and that may be the end. Look to SoCAL/MEX’N HAL to fill that void for the next several months. NO Uni expected in for this week, and this one too will be real hit-or-miss (mostly miss) for the next several months.
- What you and your discriminatory culinary palates may notice is that the overall quality of seafood actually takes an uptick for the next several months. This is due to spawning cycles being over, so shellfish and (wild) fish are now beginning to fatten up for next year’s sexual adventures. CLAM Chowder, CLAM-Bakes, and Cioppino are all great comfort-food dishes for the cold months, and all feature SHELLFISH. Or look to Bass — this week we have MEX’N PINK GROUPER/BAQUETTA, MEX’N Frm’d STRIPED BASS, BARRAMUNDI, & BRONZINI, with some CORVINA coming later this week. Local Cods are ROCK & TRUE & BLACK COD. Some LING COD too, which is another one that’ll get real tight moving forward. Got some HUACHINANGO (real Red Snapper from Baja) for the first time in a while. PETRALE SOLE / YELLOWTAIL JACK / SWORDFISH / AHI & TOMBO / More …
- That’s about it … read on for re-“Tail” …
- Got something NEW that oughta’ appeal to a lotta’ y’all — You can now get 3.5-oz pkgs of Cold-SMOKED (Lox) NZ KING SALMON if you’d like! Give ’em a try! Our full sides (2-4 lbs) of Sliced SMOK’D SAL are still available too. And a reminder during this smoking session that we’re all OUT of the 8-oz pks of ‘Duck Trap’ Smok’d Trout & Smk’d Whitefish until early 2021.
- Rehash of the Salmon situation — No more Fresh Local Wild King Salmon until May-ish, 2021, so for the next many months it’ll be Farmed Salmon Only, all with various levels of environmental & sustainability certifications & recognitions — ATLANTIC SALMON x2: Canadian, our least expensive/most popular, & “Loch Duart”, from Scotland/the ‘model’/famous … KING SALMON x2: “Ora-King”, from New Zealand, & “Big Glory Bay”, also NZ (way way southern Stewart Island)/tastes lean & clean … STEELHEAD/OCEAN TROUT x2: Washington (Colombia Riv), 3/5 lbs ea, & “Loch Etive”, from Scotland/fatty & flavorful.
- Friendly Reminder: PLEASE ALWAYS USE firstname.lastname@example.org when emailing/replying with us. Always. The reason is when/if you place your order by replying back Only to This eMail, then your reply comes back Only to Me, and because I’m not always sharp enough to notice that sorta’ thing, your message may get “lost”. It’s quite OK to include me, or Mike, or Lloyd, Kaiser, etc. … but Please Always Include email@example.com also. Mahalo.
- Lotta’ inquiries about new developments around the Crab season — here’s what we know: The CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife has officially delayed the start of the upcoming Dungeness Crab season until at least December 1st. The reason is that there are too many endangered whales lingering in crab-fishing areas, which increases the chances of one or more of them getting tangled up in the crab gear. This means that there will Not be Crabs for Thanksgiving yet again. So the fight is on — the Fishermen’s Association’s stance is that CDFW should back off on this decision because the change in weather might get the whales to believe that Autumn is actually here, so they’ll start scootin’ on down to Mexico … also, the fleet just endured the destructive Pier 45 Fire and a so-so Salmon season, so more bad news is not welcome news … finally, why are they still considered an endangered (and protected) marine mammal if there’s so darn many of ’em? … (in other words, one unfortunate whale could feed a lotta’ hungry & homeless folks).
- Check out the “Hot Specials” section of the Price-List, and notice the 16/20 P&D Blue PRAWNS from “Del Pacifico” on the Sea of Cortez — these are Wild, and a rarity in the Shrimp industry, they are caught in one-day outings, with Suripera nets, frozen one time only, and the company has exclusive and hard-to-attain Fair Trade Certification! (We ordered 16/20 Headless Shell-On to replenish our stock, they sent us P&Ds by mistake, discounted the cost, and we’re passing it on to you!) Yes, they aren’t cheap, because of the factors listed above, but “Del Pacifico” are absolutely da’ Best Prawn/Shrimp that can be found. Currently, Disney Corp is their top customer … let’s see if we can join that Mickey-Mouse outfit at the top of the list!
- “Bristol”, who is our DRY-PACK SCALLOP supplier, and da’ very best Scallop producer that we’ve ever dealt with, is now offering “MY FISH DISH” — a 7-oz thaw, bake, & enjoy seafood entree. We’re offering six of ’em — Blackened-&-Smoked Butter SCALLOPS or ATLANTIC COD or WILD SOCKEYE SALMON, and Sesame-&-Seaweed Teriyaki on the same three fish. Seems perfect for all of you HDS customers. Give ’em a try!
- Add a box of Fresh Produce to your Seafood order! We’re partnering with C & L Produce, a highly reputable wholesale distributor out of Oakland, to bring a variety of fresh fruits & veggies into your home. This offering is as an add-on, and not a replacement for our $100-minimum seafood order. Click on the two new buttons.
- Some of your faves from da’ freezer — HAMACHI COLLARS / KAMA (2+ lbs per pkg); HAMACHI FILLET (about 5-lbs ea); CHILEAN C-BASS COLLARS; FZN Cooked/Blanched OCTOPUS TENTACLES (TAKO) about 3# ea, from Hokkaido/Japan; SPANISH OCTOPUS; AHI POKE CUBES, SALMON POKE CUBES, MINCED/GROUND AHI, OYSTER SPRING-ROLLS; FZN ALBACORE LOINS, & Sk-Off/BLO FZN AHI LOINS; IQF SMELT; IQF SARDINES; PERUVIAN BAY SCALLOPS; Lots More …
- Mahalo, it’s meaningful that you’re thinking of us, and we’re extremely grateful.
Place your orders, or ask questions via the following methods, and please remember to include your Name & Address & Phone Number.
1st preference — eMail your order to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2nd choice — Text us at: 628-800-4324
3rd best – Call / Leave Voice-Message to our order-desk at: 415-441-4484
And for ACCOUNTING:
Phone/Voice Mail: 415-441-1066 / Kazuko: email@example.com, Carolyn: firstname.lastname@example.org