|FISH TAILS — HDS
- Bonus issue this week because there’s a lotta’ inquiries about new developments around the Crab season — here’s what we know: The CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife has officially delayed the start of the upcoming Dungeness Crab season until at least December 1st. The reason is that there are too many endangered whales lingering in crab-fishing areas, which increases the chances of one or more of them getting tangled up in the crab gear. This means that there will Not be Crabs for Thanksgiving yet again. So the fight is on — the Fishermen’s Association’s stance is that CDFW should back off on this decision for a few days because tomorrow’s storm system might get the whales to believe that Autumn is actually here, so they’ll start scootin’ on down to Mexico … also, the fleet just endured the destructive Pier 45 Fire and a so-so Salmon season, so any more bad news isn’t warmly welcomed … and why are they still considered an endangered (and protected) marine mammal if there’s so darn many of ’em? … (in other words, one unfortunate whale could feed a lotta’ hungry & homeless folks). If there’s anything different to report in the days ahead, you’ll be the first to know, but we’re afraid that the outlook is bleak. That’s it — below is most of the previous “Tail” …
- Got something NEW that oughta’ appeal to a lotta’ y’all — You can now buy 3.5-oz pkgs of Cold-SMOKED (Lox) NZ KING SALMON if you’d like! Give ’em a try! Our full sides (2-4 lbs) of Sliced SMOK’D SAL are still available too. And since we’re smoking, know that we’re all OUT of the 8-oz pks of ‘Duck Trap’ Smok’d Trout until early 2021.
- Moving up my list of faves is Mex’n Farm’d STRIPED BASS — this weekend I ate some crudo/sashimi style, also simply grilled with some sea-salt, as well as baked with a tomato-y/Mex’n salsa — awesome fish, firm, white flakes, doesn’t get dried out, and although kinda’ bony, the bones are big enough to not be a nuisance at all. We also have some large (5/7s) TAI SNAPPER that fit all those descriptions too. I’m thinking that I’ll write in that duo on my ballot when I go to vote later today.
- Last week was a record for UNI sales, looks like there’s 1 Tray still in our cooler (Yell NOW), and it looks like NO new shipment this week (high seas). More from the west coast = PETRALE SOLE / YELLOWTAIL JACK / AK & LOCAL & SoCAL HALIBUT / ROCK & TRUE & LING & BLACK COD / more …
- And here’s a rehash of the Salmon situation — No more Fresh Local Wild King Salmon until May-ish, 2021, so for the next many months it’ll be All Farmed Salmon, with various levels of environmental & sustainability certifications & recognitions — ATLANTIC SALMON x2: Canadian, our least expensive/most popular, & “Loch Duart”, from Scotland/the ‘model’/famous … KING SALMON x2: “Ora-King”, from New Zealand, & “Big Glory Bay”, also NZ (way way southern Stewart Island)/tastes lean & clean … STEELHEAD/OCEAN TROUT x2: Washington (Colombia Riv), 3/5 lbs ea, & “Loch Etive”, from Scotland/fatty & flavorful.
- More — AHI & TOMBO & SWORDFISH / BRONZINI / DRY-PACK SCALLOPS / OYSTERS-CLAMS-MUSSELS / etc…
- Friendly Reminder: PLEASE ALWAYS USE firstname.lastname@example.org when emailing/replying with us. Always. The reason is when/if you place your order by replying back Only to This eMail, then your reply comes back Only to Me, and because I’m not always sharp enough to notice that sorta’ thing, your message may get “lost”. It’s quite OK to include me, or Mike, or Lloyd, Kaiser, etc. … but Please Always Include email@example.com also. Mahalo.
- Check out the “Hot Specials” section of the Price-List, and notice the 16/20 P&D Blue PRAWNS from “Del Pacifico” on the Sea of Cortez — these are Wild, and a rarity in the Shrimp industry, they are caught in one-day outings, with Suripera nets, frozen one time only, and the company has exclusive and hard-to-attain Fair Trade Certification! (We ordered 16/20 Headless Shell-On to replenish our stock, they sent us P&Ds by mistake, discounted the cost, and we’re passing it on to you!) Yes, they aren’t cheap, because of the factors listed above, but “Del Pacifico” are absolutely da’ Best Prawn/Shrimp that can be found. Currently, Disney Corp is their top customer … let’s see if we can join that Mickey-Mouse outfit at the top of the list!
- “Bristol”, who is our DRY-PACK SCALLOP supplier, and da’ very best Scallop producer that we’ve ever dealt with, is now offering “MY FISH DISH” — a 7-oz thaw, bake, & enjoy seafood entree. We’re offering six of ’em — Blackened-&-Smoked Butter SCALLOPS or ATLANTIC COD or WILD SOCKEYE SALMON, and Sesame-&-Seaweed Teriyaki on the same three fish. Seems perfect for all of you HDS customers. Give ’em a try!
- Add a box of Fresh Produce to your Seafood order! We’re partnering with C & L Produce, a highly reputable wholesale distributor out of Oakland, to bring a variety of fresh fruits & veggies into your home. This offering is as an add-on, and not a replacement for our $100-minimum seafood order. Click on the two new buttons.
- Some of your faves from da’ freezer — HAMACHI COLLARS / KAMA (2+ lbs per pkg); HAMACHI FILLET (about 5-lbs ea); CHILEAN C-BASS COLLARS; FZN Cooked/Blanched OCTOPUS TENTACLES (TAKO) about 3# ea, from Hokkaido/Japan; SPANISH OCTOPUS; AHI POKE CUBES, SALMON POKE CUBES, MINCED/GROUND AHI, OYSTER SPRING-ROLLS; FZN ALBACORE LOINS, & Sk-Off/BLO FZN AHI LOINS; IQF SMELT; IQF SARDINES; PERUVIAN BAY SCALLOPS; Lots More …
- Mahalo, it’s meaningful that you’re thinking of us, and we’re extremely grateful.
Place your orders, or ask questions via the following methods, and please remember to include your Name & Address & Phone Number.
1st preference — eMail your order to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2nd choice — Text us at: 628-800-4324
3rd best – Call / Leave Voice-Message to our order-desk at: 415-441-4484
And for ACCOUNTING:
Phone/Voice Mail: 415-441-1066 / Kazuko: email@example.com, Carolyn: firstname.lastname@example.org