|FISH TAILS — HDS
- As always, welcoming the weekly group of new folks on this list … Aloha!
- Reminder: PLEASE ALWAYS USE firstname.lastname@example.org when emailing/replying with us. Always. The reason is when/if you place your order by replying back Only to This eMail, then your reply comes back Only to Me, and because I’m not always sharp enough to notice that sorta’ thing, your message may get “lost”. It’s quite OK to include me, or Mike, or Lloyd, Kaiser, etc. … but Please Always Include email@example.com also. Mahalo.
- We’ve got some Local Wild KING SALMON available — season ends on Thursday, we hope to land some more fish on Fri/Saturday, and that’ll be it until May-ish, 2021. The fishermen will be gearing up for the start of Dungeness Crab season, typically mid-November, but it’s been a few years now of delayed openings, so we’ll see. Stay tuned to da’ “Tail”.
- Here’s a few that don’t appear regularly in our inventory: Starry FLOUNDER Fil – local, close relative of PETRALE SOLE, and my favorite Sole/Flounder / ONO – tasty, firm-fleshed, almost SWORDFISH-like / BARRAMUNDI – we group this one in the “Bass” category, along with STRIPED BASS & WHITE C-BASS, etc., fattier/tastier than most “basses” / and FRESH SARDINES (see below) / TRY SOME!!
- Check out the “Hot Specials” section of the Price-List, and notice the 16/20 P&D Blue PRAWNS from “Del Pacifico” on the Sea of Cortez — these are Wild, and a rarity in the Shrimp industry, they are caught in one-day outings, with Suripera nets, frozen one time only, and the company has exclusive and hard-to-attain Fair Trade Certification! (We ordered 16/20 Headless Shell-On to replenish our stock, they sent us P&Ds by mistake, discounted the cost, and we’re passing it on to you!) Yes, they aren’t cheap, because of the factors listed above, but “Del Pacifico” are absolutely da’ Best Prawn/Shrimp that can be found. Currently, Disney Corp is their top customer … let’s see if we can join that Mickey-Mouse outfit at the top of the list!
- Little Local Thingys = FRESH SQUID & FRESH SARDINES!! & FRESH UNI. Local Bigger Stuff = ROCK COD & LING COD & TRUE COD & BLACK COD … HALIBUT x3 = ALASKAN & LOCAL & SoCAL (but may get tight on AK & Local) …
- TOMBO & AHI & SWORDFISH / Farm’d SALMON = ATL x2 & NZ KING x2 & STEELHD x2 / Lotta’ SHELLFISH, Lotta’ FZN, Lots MORE / Did we mention SARDINES?
- I woulda’ preferred that Pablo’s and Melancon’s end-of-game high-fives for beatin’ da’ Dodgers would’ve been with ORANGE & BLACK-clad teammates, but they (along with ex-Giants Will Smith & Charlie Culberson) are still in da’ dance, so that’s who I’m pulling for — Go Braves, Beat L.A.!
- Some things from previous issues of “Fish Tails”, (known as re-“Tail”), is copied below … Happy reading!
- “Bristol”, who is our DRY-PACK SCALLOP supplier, and da’ very best Scallop producer that we’ve ever dealt with, is now offering “My Fish Dish” — a 7-oz thaw, bake, & enjoy seafood entree. We’re offering six of ’em — Blackened-&-Smoked Butter SCALLOPS or ATLANTIC COD or WILD SOCKEYE SALMON, and Sesame-&-Seaweed Teriyaki on the same three fish. Seems perfect for all of you HDS customers. Give ’em a try!
- Add a box of Fresh Produce to your Seafood order! We’re partnering with C & L Produce, a highly reputable wholesale distributor out of Oakland, to bring a variety of fresh fruits & veggies into your home. This offering is as an add-on, and not a replacement for our $100-minimum seafood order. Click on the two new buttons.
- A question that comes up often is “Is our fish Sashimi-grade?” The short answer is “Yes”. Seafood thawed from a Frozen state are great choices because the freezing process kills off any parasites and inhibits bacteria growth. There is actually a (never enforced) law or regulation that says “any fish consumed raw must have been frozen at some point in the process”. Also, Fresh seafood, if real fresh, is also a great choice — Many restaurants offer crudo, tartare, poke, raw-bars, etc., much of the offerings of which have never been frozen. (remember that never-enforced law?) Parasites are not an issue with Fresh farmed fish. Parasites that are detected in wild fish may be unappetizing to most (and may be part of the whole sushi experience to others (insert wink emoji)), and if the parasites that we commonly encounter are not detected, but rather ingested, know that they are not a health hazard. You didn’t go to the hospital when you found half-a-worm in your … apple, right? Bacteria growth is constant and inevitable, and eventually causing deterioration of the meat, especially surrounding the belly cavity. This is not fresh enough fish. Trust your nose. Then it just comes down to personal taste — for me personally, I do not like raw, previously frozen Shrimp. Eeeew. I can’t imagine eating raw, farmed fresh Catfish, even though I love it fried, and Catfish has a very good shelf-life. And raw wild Swordfish wouldn’t ever be a high sashimi priority for me.
- Back in da’ Freezer after a lengthy hiatus are Fries with Eyes, a.k.a IQF LAKE SMELT … rich, tasty little things; snap off the head (or not), dust ’em in flour, deep fry ’em like french fries, eat the bones, fins, head, all of it. Fingers & napkins are the only utensils required.
- We carry a few brands of SMOKED SALMON, all are ‘nova style’ (Lox), all are sliced (cater-cut), all are about 3 to 4# per side. Easy to break down into smaller units for yer freezer, then thaw ’em when you need ’em.
- Some of your faves from da’ freezer — HAMACHI COLLARS / KAMA (2+ lbs per pkg); HAMACHI FILLET (about 5-lbs ea); CHILEAN C-BASS COLLARS; FZN Cooked/Blanched OCTOPUS TENTACLES (TAKO) about 3# ea, from Hokkaido/Japan; SPANISH OCTOPUS; AHI POKE CUBES, SALMON POKE CUBES, MINCED/GROUND AHI, OYSTER SPRING-ROLLS; FZN ALBACORE LOINS, & Sk-Off & BLO FZN AHI LOINS; IQF SARDINES; PERUVIAN BAY SCALLOPS; Lots More …
- Mahalo, it’s meaningful that you’re thinking of us, and we’re extremely grateful.
Place your orders, or ask questions via the following methods, and please remember to include your Name & Address & Phone Number.
1st preference — eMail your order to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2nd choice — Text us at: 628-800-4324
3rd best – Call / Leave Voice-Message to our order-desk at: 415-441-4484
And for ACCOUNTING:
Phone/Voice Mail: 415-441-1066 / Kazuko: email@example.com, Carolyn: firstname.lastname@example.org